14th March 2022
Configurable Ephemeral Storage, PostGIS, Public MySQL and Postgres
We’re excited to release configurable ephemeral storage for services and jobs. This further expands the breadth and depth of workloads that can be run on Northflank. Simply select the available ephemeral storage you need from 1GB (default), 5GB, 10GB and 20GB. The increased storage above 1GB (included for free) will be billed at the volume rate on our pricing page.
This is a complementary capability to persistent volumes released earlier this year.
Why would you use ephemeral storage over persistent volumes?
- Some workloads you want to fire and forget, not worry about state or persistence, and thus configuring ephemeral storage is optimal.
- PVs only provided increased disk at routes not inside the container workload.
- PVs are billed for the lifetime of the disk whereas ephemeral disks are billed by the lifetime of the container during runtime by the second.
Type of workloads that require larger ephemeral storage?
- Non-trivial database migrations and backups
- Downloading and operating large ML models
- Downloading and transforming large media files (video/images)
- Large tmp directories or file-based cache
We’re expanding capabilities to provide more database addon configurations starting with PostGIS. PostGIS is a spatial database extender for PostgreSQL. It adds support for geographic objects allowing location queries to be run in SQL.
Email email@example.com if you are interested in using PostGIS.
Features & fixes
- Exposing PostgreSQL and MySQL feature flag is now enabled by default (still restricted to 2 exposed addons of these types)
- Fixed an issue where repositories on self-hosted GitLab would sometimes not be detected correctly
- Fixed an issue with Logs which could prevent loading new logs if there was a large number of entries in a sub-second interval
- Fixed an issue where billing alerts would not be triggered
- Build service branch & PR restriction build restriction patterns now support more special characters
- Update the Docker registry permission names from
- Users will now be signed up automatically when no account is present while trying to login with OAuth buttons from the login page
- Improved the manual invoice payment option styling, including the component to add a new card while paying an invoice
- Added a scale job endpoint to allow modifying job resources